Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam located in Andra Pradesh India is one of the richest shrines in India and ranks 2nd richest shrine in world after the church of Vatican city. There are some interesting facts about Tirupati and the deity Sri Venkateshwara Swamy.
Few of the interesting facts about the Tirupati and the deity Sri Venkateswara Swamy
- The temple is visited by an average of 75,000 to 100,000 pilgrims daily. During the brahmotsavam the number of pilgrims even goes up to 6,00,0000 or even more.
- Tirupati has got the patent rights for it Laddu, popularly known as “Tirupati laddu” under the Geographical indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act.
- It’s believed that the hair of Sri Venkateshwara Swamy is real and is silky smooth and never tangles ever.
- On an average 150,000 laddus are made per day, which is distributed to the pilgrims visiting the temple.
- The idol of Lord Venkateshwara or Tirupati Balaji is known as swayambhu or self-manifested.
- The idol appears to be standing in the middle of the garbha girha ie. Sanctum’s centurion. However, in reality the idol stands at the right-side corner of the temple.
- The temperature of the idol is perennially moist. It’s always at 110-degree Fahrenheit despite given a bath daily with water and milk. In fact, after the bath the deity sweats and is later wiped off.
- All the flowers, milk, ghee and butter for the Lord are brought from a nearby village which is located at distance of 22 km. Outsiders are not allowed inside this village.
- The oil lamps lit in front of the idol was never put off and is believed that they were lit thousands of years ago.
- The discards of the flowers etc are put to the back of the idol, which emerge at a placed called verpedu on the way towards kalahasti located 20 kms from the temple. This remains a surprise for all.
If you are planning to visit Tirupati, you can stay at the accommodation for free located at the top of the hill, or alternatively you can book the lodging or hotels in Tirupati online with us for stay. During the allocation time for the worship you can take a free bus offered by the Tirupati devasthanam.